Thursday, August 12, 2010

School's Out!

Both Courtney and Dylan had end-of-year celebrations last June. Here are the pictures from those events.

Dylan's Kindergarten class had a fun celebration. They invited the parents to class, sang us a bunch of songs they learned, read us a book they wrote about the school year, gave a slide show, and served us ice cream sundaes. It was a lot of fun to see how much they have grown throughout the year.




Dylan's best friend, Spike, is the 4th kid to his right, the blond boy. They are inseparable at school.




Here are a few pages from Dylan's book:
"We learned words that are word walls that are easy. And I learned the alphabet and count to 180."

"My favorite time of day is recess because I like to play. I like to play police and I like to play with Spike."


Courtney's last year of elementary school was celebrated with 5th Grade Graduation. It was a really nice ceremony for the kids and parents. I'm usually not very emotional with my kids' school advancements. I don't cry when I send them off to Kindergarten. But I broke down during graduation. Looking at her up on the stage, thinking about how far she has come since Kindergarten, and feeling so blessed to have a wonderful, strong, beautiful, and smart daughter caused me to lose it. I was just a little choked up until they had each student take a flower and give it to their Mom in the audience. That was it, I was bawling like a baby. Even now, remembering is getting me teary eyed.

I had a hard time taking pictures during the ceremony. The ones I managed to take came out blurry because my camera was on a weird setting. So this is all you get.





Courtney receiving her diploma.

The specials teachers (art, music, PE, library) gave out awards to a few kids who displayed outstanding work during the year. Courtney received one from PE, which she was so excited about. She loves PE so this meant a lot to her. (I didn't have my camera ready so I only got a picture of her heading back to her seat.)


With Mrs. Penland, her teacher.

With one of her good friends, Jacob. Her other really good friend, Jonah, was out of town so we didn't get his picture.

The kids in her class wrote down words to describe each of their classmates. When they recieved their diploma, her teacher read a few things that were written about each of them. It was really special so hear the different things they came up with.

Now we're off to another school year!!

2 comments:

Joni said...

They grow so fast! I look at Courtney and can just see her blossoming into a beautiful young woman! I still remember when she started in activity day with us!

Kate said...

I love your clogging comment! I think of us every time I hear that too! We were good. ;) I have no idea what happened to my clogging shoes though! I carried them around for years, and now they are gone. Darn!