Friday, September 11, 2009

Sleep, Is That How It Works?

So if you've ever heard me complain even a little about my insomnia, you'll understand this post. It's something I've been dealing with since I got pregnant with Courtney. After each baby, it's gotten worse. I've tried different things, but have put off taking any medication. So here's a small thing that happened, but quite exciting to someone who doesn't sleep.

I actually got to sleep last night at 10:30. 10:30!!! I consider anything before midnight to be good, but this was unheard of. I've fallen asleep at 8 or 9 before, but that is after a really bad week of 3 or 4 hours of sleep for many nights in a row. Last night was a normal night, not overly tired or sick. So what happened?

A few night ago, when Bruce had to work until about midnight, I decided to try something. I'm usually feeling pretty tired around dinner time, but by 8 or 9, when I get the kids to bed, I'm wide awake again. So that night, after dinner, I put my pajamas on and just hung out in my bedroom. I watched a little TV, read a book. The kids were actually quite content and happy that night to just do their own thing. I was able to get them off to bed without any problems. Around 11:00, I drifted off to sleep. It was great. So I thought, maybe that's the secret. To not let myself really wake up again after dinner. The problem is I'm a mom. I can't just check out every night after dinner. There's just too much going on.

But last night I wanted to try it again. Bruce was going to be up late watching the Steelers game. So I put him in charge of Travis, who was going to be up late because of a 3 hour nap. Courtney and Dylan were hanging out in Courtney's room while she taught him to play checkers. (They never play together so I had another reason to rejoice last night.) And it worked, again. I turned the light off at 10:00, and was asleep by 10:30.

I feel really good today. I never feel fully awake and well rested. It's a great feeling actually. I got on the treadmill today, after 3 weeks off. I'm trying not to get too excited. Who knows if this will happen again. But I'll take even one day.

3 comments:

Kate said...

CONGRATULATIONS! From one non-sleeper to another, I know this is huge. I don't have nearly as bad a problem as you, though.
I'm convinced it's hereditary. My grandma and my dad don't sleep. They both take prescription drugs. I haven't had to do that yet, but I definitely take Unisom or Tylenol PM often. It really helps me to initially fall asleep... not necessarily stay asleep. But it's the falling asleep that's hard for me.
I'm glad you found something that works. I hope you can keep it up!

Amy said...

Unfortunately OTC meds just don't work for me. And like you Kate, my problem is definitely getting to sleep, not staying asleep.

Joni said...

Hooray sleep!!! I often have a similar problem, just not as extreme as yours. (I do my best reading when the rest of the house is snoozing!) I'm happy that you got 2 nights of good rest...it really does make a difference in how you feel! I hope you have many other nights of good rest. ;)