Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lessons in the Kitchen

I left Courtney home a few days ago while I went to the grocery store with the boys. Bruce was home for a few minutes and then left for a meeting. She called me on the phone, here's our conversation:

Courtney: "Mom, can I make popcorn using the air popper?"

Mom: "Let me think for a second." (Trying to decide if this is a dangerous appliance.) "I guess it's okay. Do you know how to put the butter on?"

Courtney: (exasperated) "Yes, Mom!"

Mom: "Okay, tell me how."

Courtney: "I just cut up a few pieces and put it on the popcorn and stir it up."

Mom: "Well, the popcorn won't be hot enough to melt the butter by itself, so you actually need to melt it in the microwave."

Courtney: "oh"

Mom: "Put a few tablespoons in a bowl, melt it for about 15 seconds. If its not melted, try again for 5 seconds at a time. Then pour it over the popcorn and stir it up."

Courtney: "Okay Mom. Thanks. Bye."

{About 30 minutes later, as I walk in the door, Courtney has just finished making her popcorn and is fixing some hot cocoa to go along with it. I peek into her bowl.)

Mom: (pausing and thinking for a moment) "Um, Courtney, how much butter did you use?" (As I stare at a bowl of very glossy popcorn.)

Courtney: "Well, it was kind of bland after one stick so I added another."

Mom: (mouth hanging open, speechless, then laughing hysterically.)


I let her eat just a small amount, but told her she wasn't allowed to give herself a heart attack just because she loves butter.

Life's little lessons.






3 comments:

Jill said...

CRAZY FUN!!!

Jill said...

at least she didn't try to melt the butter IN the popper!

Kate said...

That's hilarious. I love this post!!